Make your own free website on

Springfield Paranormal Research Group

Wilson Creek Battle Field Story

Wilson’s Creek Battle field

Location: Greene County and Christian County

Campaign: Operations to Control Missouri (1861)

Date(s): August 10, 1861

Principal Commanders: Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon and Maj. Gen. Samuel D. Sturgis [US]; Maj. Gen. Sterling Price, Missouri State Guard, and Brig. Gen. Ben McCulloch [CS]

Forces Engaged: Army of the West [US]; Missouri State Guard and McCulloch’s Brigade [CS]

Estimated Casualties: 2,330 total (US 1,235; CS 1,095)

Description: Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon’s Army of the West was camped at Springfield, Missouri, with Confederate troops under the commands of Brig. Gen. Ben McCulloch approaching. On August 9, both sides formulated plans to attack the other. About 5:00 am on the 10th, Lyon, in two columns commanded by himself and Col. Franz Sigel, attacked the Confederates on Wilson’s Creek about 12 miles southwest of Springfield. Rebel cavalry received the first blow and fell back away from Bloody Hill. Confederate forces soon rushed up and stabilized their positions. The Confederates attacked the Union forces three times that day but failed to break through the Union line. Lyon was killed during the battle and Maj. Samuel D. Sturgis replaced him. Meanwhile, the Confederates had routed Sigel’s column, south of Skegg’s Branch. Following the third Confederate attack, which ended at 11:00 am, the Confederates withdrew. Sturgis realized, however, that his men were exhausted and his ammunition was low, so he ordered a retreat to Springfield. The Confederates were too disorganized and ill-equipped to pursue. This Confederate victory buoyed southern sympathizers in Missouri and served as a springboard for a bold thrust north that carried Price and his Missouri State Guard as far as Lexington. In late October, a rump convention, convened by Governor Claiborne Fox Jackson, met in Neosho and passed an ordinance of secession. Wilson’s Creek, the most significant 1861 battle in Missouri, gave the Confederates control of southwestern Missouri.
Photos= Photos were taken by Michele and Amity.To make sure photos were not tampered with all photos were inspected by at least two members of the team including myself at the same time.
On 11-07-04 and 12-31-04 we caught some very go photos.

On 8-09-05 and 8-10-05 During our investigation at one point we kept hearing gun shots and canon fire.There were no reenactments going on so we can rule out that possibility.When we first got there something pulled me from my wheel chair and ripped my shirt.Upon inspecting myself we found four long scratches on me in the area where my shirt was torn they looked like finger nail marks.This happen again the next day.

On 11-12-05 We were taking temp. reading the base temp. was 55 degrees.At areas of reported paranormal activity the temp. would drop as far down to 27 degrees.In one area of bloody hill there was an over powering smell of something dead. I was the only one that could smell it.No clue why.

11-12-05 It was cold about 55 and raining.We had some new members join, so I set up an long investigation.I wanted to see if our new members had it in them to stick with it.We were not expecting it to rain but when we showed up at the site it was down pouring.I was surprised when they all said they still wanted to do it.I did not think we were going to get anything under these conditions but they wanted to do it.

They took a lot of photos, no evp's to windy and no video.We did take temp readings and at certain areas that cherry felt something the temp would drop from 55 to 27.after viewing the photos there was really nothing that day, only one photo had a fog in it not sure why.We have had some real good investigations out there but today was just not going to reveal anything.Our new team member were great they hung in there,and a investigating here is not an easy task, a lot of miles to cover.

My Finding's=If I were asked if the battle field was haunted,I would have no problem saying it is.It's not everyday you go on an investigation and get pulled from a chair.
John Harris

11-12-05 The day was cold, and it looked as if the weather wasn't going to be fair to us. With new members and the history of the battlegrounds, our spirits refused to be controlled by the weather. After meeting in the office, we agreed that we were going to do this as a group, rain or not. Thank goodness the rain stopped. We stopped and hiked to the place where the mill once was and took pictures, but the thrill of the fact was that our group was willing to travel in the weather. We traveled to the graveyard and took more pictures. We traveled to the the Ray House, but we were unable to get in due to the fact that it was closed to tours. There were still belongings in the home to show people the way of life back then. We peeked through the windows and moved to what is known as Bloody Hill. We walked down the hill and began feeling things, things that where different. At one point on the trail I stopped, for a pain in my stomach area overtook me, but it passed and we moved on. We were all tired, but we felt that we had a good time and thank goodness the weather was good to us. That night we had a bad Storm. I felt that something was there, and I'm sure that we will go back, and they will be there waiting for us too. Cherry